Our History

See how our pioneering spirit, collaboration, and impactful partnerships helped shape our community and the people we serve.

  • 1893-94

    Wisconsin's first two medical schools are founded. (A. Hamilton Levings, MD, was a founder of Wisconsin College of Physician and Surgeons and served as its president for 20 years.)

  • 1913

    Three women are among the first graduating class of the Marquette University School of Medicine.

  • 1913

    Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons merges with Milwaukee Medical College to become Marquette University School of Medicine. (Louis F. Jermain, MD, first dean of the Marquette University School of Medicine)

  • 1925

    The Marquette University School of Medicine Alumni Association is formed.

  • 1932

    The medical school moves to the Harriet L. Cramer Building on the Marquette campus.

  • 1936

    The Marquette Medical Review (the nation's first medical student-edited medical journal) is established.

  • 1946

    The medical school affiliates with Milwaukee VA Hospital.

  • 1951

    A Postgraduate Studies Program (now Continuing Medical Education) is created to provide ongoing education to community physicians.

  • 1952-75

    Vision for an academic medical center becomes a reality.

  • 1967

    The medical school is separated from Marquette; becomes private, freestanding institution

  • 1970

    Renamed as the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW)

  • 1967-74

    Government and community support for MCW and the academic medical center: Heil Commission Report - Governor's Commission on Medical Education - Carley Commission Report.

  • 1978

    MCW relocated to the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center (MRMC) campus

  • 1979

    The Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals (MCWAH) is created to oversee hospitals' residency training programs.

  • 1980

    Froedtert Hospital opens on the MRMC campus

  • 1983

    MCW Research Foundation (now Office of Technology Development) is created to spur technology transfer in Southeastern Wisconsin.

  • 1988

    Children's Hospital of Wisconsin is relocated to the MRMC campus.

  • 1989

    The Alumni Association's name is changed to the Medical College of Wisconsin - Marquette Medical Alumni Association.

  • 1995

    Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences established

  • 1999

    MCW receives transformational Blue Cross and Blue Shield United of Wisconsin conversion funds; Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin Endowment is created.

  • 2010

    MCW receives NIH Award to create the Clinical and Translational Science Institute of Southeast Wisconsin.

  • 2012

    MCW School of Medicine initiates Discovery Curriculum, creating earlier clinical integration and scholarly pathways.

  • 2015

    School of Pharmacy established

  • 2015

    MCW receives Community Engagement Classification from the Carnegie Foundation (one of only four medical schools in US)

  • 2015-16

    New medical school campuses open in Green Bay and Central Wisconsin

  • 2017

    First class of Pharmacy students matriculates

  • 2017

    $37.8M gift from Kern Family and Kern Family Foundation creates Kern Institute for the Transformation of Medical Education and National Transformation Network.

  • 2018

    MCW celebrates 125 years.

Our History

See how our pioneering spirit, collaboration, and impactful partnerships helped shape our community and the people we serve.

Wisconsin's first two medical schools are founded. (A. Hamilton Levings, MD, was a founder of Wisconsin College of Physician and Surgeons and served as its president for 20 years.)
Three women are among the first graduating class of the Marquette University School of Medicine.
Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons merges with Milwaukee Medical College to become Marquette University School of Medicine. (Louis F. Jermain, MD, first dean of the Marquette University School of Medicine

The Marquette University School of Medicine Alumni Association is formed.

The medical school moves to the Harriet L. Cramer Building on the Marquette campus.
The Marquette Medical Review (the nation's first medical student-edited medical journal) is established.
The medical school affiliates with Milwaukee VA Hospital.

A Postgraduate Studies Program (now Continuing Medical Education) is created to provide ongoing education to community physicians.

Vision for an academic medical center becomes a reality.

The medical school is separated from Marquette; becomes private, freestanding institution

Renamed as the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW)
Government and community support for MCW and the academic medical center: -Heil Commission Report - Governor's Commission on Medical Education - Carley Commission Report.
MCW relocated to the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center (MRMC) campus

The Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals (MCWAH) is created to oversee hospitals' residency training programs.

Froedtert Hospital opens on the MRMC campus
MCW Research Foundation (now Office of Technology Development) is created to spur technology transfer in Southeastern Wisconsin.

Children's Hospital of Wisconsin is relocated to the MRMC campus.

The Alumni Association's name is changed to the Medical College of Wisconsin - Marquette Medical Alumni Association.

Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences established

MCW receives transformational Blue Cross and Blue Shield United of Wisconsin conversion funds; Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin Endowment is created.

MCW receives NIH Award to create the Clinical and Translational Science Institute of Southeast Wisconsin.
MCW School of Medicine initiates Discovery Curriculum, creating earlier clinical integration and scholarly pathways.
MCW receives Community Engagement Classification from the Carnegie Foundation (one of only four medical schools in US)
School of Pharmacy established
New medical school campuses open in Green Bay and Central Wisconsin
First class of Pharmacy students matriculates
$37.8 M gift from Kern Family and Kern Family Foundation creates Kern Institute for the Transformation of Medical Education and National Transformation Network.

MCW celebrates 125 years.

Scroll and Click to Discover More